The Deputy Communications Director works as part of a communications team assisting in the creation and execution of media relations, communications /marketing materials and strategies that help support and promote Wayne County government activities with the ultimate goal of providing the best possible services to its residents. The position creates, edits and disseminates talking points, communications, press releases and other materials needed to communicate and other duties as assigned.
- Manage media relations duties for Wayne County in coordination with the Director of Communications, including maintaining media distribution lists, clip generation (daily) and story pitching while providing input on media engagement strategy.
- Write copy for talking points, marketing materials, websites, proclamations, letters and other mediums to ensure clear, timely and efficient communication on behalf of County government with staff, community, media, etc.
- Proofread, copy edit and fact-check materials created by the communications department as well as other departments to ensure quality, accuracy and appropriate tone.
- Work with supervisor on internal communications strategy, including creating talking points to keep County employees informed of key issues and celebrate success and accomplishments of the entire government.
- Work with communications team and other departments in support of comprehensive communications strategies that help raise awareness of County work, milestones and brand, including research, updating website, etc.
- Contribute to planning of and attend County government meetings and events as needed to get story ideas, social media content or information for communications efforts.
At the time of application, eligible persons must have:
A Bachelor's degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing or relevant field; AND
Four (4) years of professional experience in communications or marketing with an emphasis on copy writing and proofreading, in addition to:
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Ability to edit for grammar and structure as well as tone and messaging
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to juggle several short and long-term deadlines simultaneously while keeping projects on schedule
- Knowledge of government and current issues facing County government
- Temperament to effectively communicate with a variety of personalities in a tactful, pleasant and professional manner
- Ability to collaborate and work with others in rapid-response environment
Salary commensurate with experience
Deadline to Apply: Until filled
Please include cover letter, resume, and salary requirements.
Wayne County is an Equal Opportunity Employer