- Juris Doctorate Degree from an accredited law school; AND
- Active and in good standing member of the State of Michigan; AND
- Minimum of three (3) years of civil litigation and/or administrative law experience.
Job Description: The Municipal Team within the Office of Corporation Counsel provides legal advice, representation, and other legal support to certain County Departments, Boards, Commissions, employees, and elected officials. The primary objective of the Municipal Team is to defend the County and its employees in various complex matters related to health care benefits, public health, public safety, elections, and FOIA requests.
- Defend municipal cases in all forums, including, but not limited to, federal and state court;
- Draft, negotiate, review, interpret and approve contracts, memoranda of understanding, and other agreements/documents;
- Draft and revise legislation, ordinances, resolutions, and executive orders;
- Advise and represent clients on litigation and compliance matters;
- Interpret legislation, laws and regulations for clients and County officials;
- Handle jury and bench trials as well as appellate work in various courts and tribunals;
- Attend and participate in various hearings and motions;
- Draft pleadings and papers, with an emphasis on dispositive motions;
- Conduct all phases of discovery, including taking and defending depositions;
- Conduct legal research and provide written opinions to clients;
- Consult with clients on complex administrative matters;
- Draft policies and procedures regarding municipal issues, which currently include matters related to the COVID-19 pandemic; AND
- Handle additional work as assigned, including time-sensitive matters.
PLEASE INCLUDE COVER LETTER, RESUME, AND SALARY REQUIREMENTS.
WAYNE COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.